Who is RG, you ask? It’s short for “Roommate Greg” … not an official roommate (as in someone who pays part of the rent) but more like a guy who needed a break so we helped out. For 6 months. Yeah. So. He’s (supposed to be) leaving Sunday due to this debacle.
To sum it up: Kids, don’t make bad decisions, mmmkay? Taking your roommate’s car when you (a) have been drinking, AND (b) it’s snowing AND (c) don’t have their permission AND (d) had your license revoked for three (3) DUIs and (e) have an accident because it’s snowing and you’re inebriated is generally thought of as … a BAD DECISION.
Ready? Here we go!
1. I will be able to leave the car keys strewn about the house knowing that only Max and the cats will be around and they’d rather *I* do the driving.
2. TIVO? Oh, I’ve missed you. I am going to have to retrain you, though, because it will keep trying to tape Jag (eww), the war channel (ewww) and all manner of funky horror movies (eeeek!). Soon, I will have you back to taping high quality [wink] shows like Wife Swap and American Idolatry. Yeah … I can once again watch tv when I want.
3. I can walk by the tv room and there will be silence if I so deem it. I won’t be accosted with a story about a guy he knew who was the last living relative of Jeremiah Johnson and what frigging animal pelts he got as a gift. I. don’t. care. about. your. pelts!!
4. I won’t have to hear all the gory details of your day at dialysis. I am eternally sorry that your kidneys crapped out on you and whatnot but I really don’t want to hear how you bled all over yourself or barfed 14 times while passing out. Most especially I don’t want to hear about it as I walk in the door from an hour long drive home.
5. I won’t be looked down upon for spending upteen hours on my “idiot box” as he calls my beloved computer while he watches at least 10 hours of tv a day. I’m quite content reading blogs, writing stupid blog entries, surfing, emailing and playing Magic Match. I am adept at amusing myself. So there.
6. My bathroom mess will be made by only ME. (And Duty but he’s relatively neat) – I won’t have to wipe the tub down every time he takes a bath. (I did mention this to him nicely one time and he’s been better about it. Still. Eww)
7. I’m so glad we spent $150 on patches to help you quit smoking. I am especially glad when I see you standing outside in the freezing cold puffing away. You know, you could have just told us “No thanks .. I’m not serious about it” and left it at that. (Note: yes, I know quitting is hard and I do have compassion. Still.)
8. I can have silence in the house. That makes me incredibly joyful.
9. I won’t have to hear him call Luciecat “Herm” anymore (as in “There Herm is” WTF??) Herm and I will continue to use her birth name of Lucie. Plus, she communicated to me that she needed some space from him. Man, he’s all over that cat some days. It’s almost not natural.
10. Since the accident, he knows I’ve distanced myself from him so he’s not following me around like a gnat telling me about crap I don’t care about much. (I must be giving “huge fuck-off vibes” or something) This is very nice. I loves me some solitude. If Murphy or Midjull have a story they must share, at least they give me some licks or purrs as a reward for listening. :)
11. PiK won’t be subjected to inappropriate sexual humor anymore (well, maybe from me but that’s different!)
12. He really didn’t do much accommodating when PiK’s power went out and she and kittycats had to come and stay for 3 days. I mean, it ain’t YOUR house dude. Try to be a bit more giving. Everyone BUT you was put out a bit (hell, Duty gave over his “safe haven” to three cats and the PiK!! Tell me that ain’t sacrificing!!) and all you could do was act annoyed. Now, when she comes over, she’s got her own space.
13. In all seriousness, I am glad that we were able to open our hearts and home to him. But I’ve learned that there are limits to things and even though I think he didn’t mean to take advantage, he did. Duty and I did a bit of soul searching about what we could have done differently and perhaps ending the arrangement sooner would have been better. Live and learn, eh?
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants