Ten Ways to Waste Time on the Internet by yours truly:
1. Twitter – Find me here and be bored to death. I had a whole post written last night about why I like Twitter and I fell asleep re-reading it! Delete Delete Delete for the good of my readers. However, I do have fun perusing the comments and back-and-forths between people.
2. Games on Facebook – I listen to some podcasts every day and waste time in increments of 40 minutes playing dumbass games. Mindless and fun. I used to spend more time on FB until they totally F’d it up and now I just peruse casually.
3. Blogging although I wouldn’t call it “a waste of time” – more like my contribution to the Universe (hahahahah – I know. Whatever, right?)
4. How could I forget email?? My lifeblood! I love my email more than life itself, some days. I’m slowly taking myself off the million lists I seemed to have subscribed to over the years so I don’t get as much but what I get is definitely of a better caliber.
5. Balloon-Juice – love this blog – full of snark and fun. And oh yeah, some political stuff too.
6. Reading blogs by others: The Gal (of course), 6YearMed, Dooce and others. It’s rare these days that I follow ones very closely although I don’t know why because I love following along with others in their daily life. Too much of what I run into are “Mommy blogs” and I am so far away from that and it just annoys me. (Cold hearted? Me? Nah!)
6. Freecycle – I’m a moderator so I clear messages and respond to people asking how to get off the list even though the instrx are at the bottom of EVERY email. I am most diplomatic, however, and don’t let my general air of WTF come through. (I don’t think, anyway.)
7. Random other political blogs just to see what the zeitgeist is out there. Some of it depresses me terribly so I don’t even read much. I end up feeling like we are all doomed and that’s just not a fun place. Hell, I can go there on my own – don’t need websites stirring that up.
8. Two great David Cook sites: DC42 and The World I know – I’m not linking them because you all don’t care but out of the million places online that follow him (and even his own website), I like these two. Small and chock full of info, pics and friends.
9. Ask Metafilter – one of my first destinations I check at work. Lots to read and learn. The most responses are to the relationship questions and it is always interesting to see so many differing perspectives. I also check in on the energy of the response to see what’s behind it. Very interesting. There are some people I know by what they write – meaning I can tell it’s them without even looking at the name because of the energy behind it. I have a friend whose blog I can’t read because the energy of their words feels like a big ass wet blanket to me. It takes me a while to crawl out from underneath it. Blargh!
10. Last but NEVER least, LOLCat central and all its spin-offs. It is my happy place on the web.
see more Lolcats and funny pictures