Saturday 9: Upside Down
1. When was the last time that you felt your world got turned upside down?
My own personal world? 2006 when Mom and Lauren died within 6 months of each other. I was blessed with the knowledge that both events were on the horizon so I could be present and loving to them. But yeah, 2007 was just a blur and I made some serious errors in judgement from trying to bring my world back into balance and fill those spaces in my heart.
As a country? When Obama won the election in 2008. I wasn’t there that night in Chicago like Gal was but I was thrilled to total pieces and stayed up watching all of it.
2. Should the United States do more to help its own citizens before helping people in other countries?
I liked how Gal said it: Let me rephrase that to “as we help people in other countries.” I do believe there’s enough help to go around but I’d like to see as much compassion for our own citizens as we show others.
3. What was something you memorized for school and still can recall?
Ontogeny recapitulates pylogeny. Yeah, I wasn’t sure what that meant then or what it means now. So, I used the internets and voila!
4. With what types of people do you tend to associate?
Few right-wingers, that’s for damn sure! I love to be around smart, snarky, funny, people who “get” me.
5. Besides blogging what is the last creative thing that you’ve done?
Hmm, writing is really one of the only places my creativity shows. I will say, however, that planting my flower garden was an exercise in doing that and seeing the flowers come alive makes me happy!
6. In nature, what outdoor activities do you enjoy the most?
Floating in the pool under the warm sun and listening to the birds. Oh, and putting out food for my birdies and squirrels.
7. When was the last time that you had a great belly laugh?
There have been a couple episodes of 30 Rock that had me cracking up. That’s my new addiction on Netflix now.
8. What kind of fashion-sense attracts you?
One that doesn’t look too prissy. Just nice and neat. There’s a woman at work who personifies that and it always looks nice. Simple lines, non-fussy jewelry.
9. What traits in others turn you off?
How long do you have? Goodness, let’s see: I see a LOT of self-absorption on Facebook – like they want comments on their stuff but cannot be bothered saying stuff to others. Rudeness ALWAYS sets me off. And arrogance, too. I could go on for days about this kind of thing because I am, underneath it all, a pisshead of sorts. (But a nice one!)
Thanks for the pair of references! And for the link on "Ontogeny recapitulates pylogeny." Otherwise I'd be frozen at "huh, what?"