Caps University was big fun! Here’s what we learned:
1. When the exit sign says NEXT RIGHT, they mean the very next right. Not the right after the next right because if you try for that, you will end up in the not-good-section of washington. Why? Because there are NO PLACES TO TURN AROUND!
2. Taking metro was probably a good idea, in theory. Once we didn’t take “the next right”. then all bets were off. As fate would have it, we found a free and close parking space near MCI Center so it all turned out okay. (Many thanks to Duty for directions)
3. Italians like to talk. A lot. Our host for the night was Joe Benanati. Ipso Facto – we ran late by about 45 mins. But he is so cute and interesting (did you know, btw, that the pucks are frozen and that they get a new (frozen) puck many times during the game? I didn’t and now I do!)) that I couldn’t hold it against him. He clearly digs what he’s talking about and his enthusiasm for the game of hockey and Caps Hockey in particular is contagious. (He looks a bit like a less dorky Jon Lovitz, I think.)
4. I was tempted to leave a note in Robert Lang’s pants to remind him to button up the snaps but decided not to. They said not to touch the players stuff (might get fan cooties on it, I s’pose).
5. Joe B spent about 40 minutes schooling us about off sides, two line passes and icing. Quite interesting. I think I finally got it now. We’ll see.
Anyway, game against Ottawa is tonight and next class is tomorrow. It was definitely fun. Thanks to Hockey Kim for suggesting it!